Persistent with LiveCD

Hi.  I have successfully created a bootable USB key from the LiveCD and the
persistent feature is also working beautifully.  However because not all
computers support booting from USB I also wish to use the persistent feature
when booted from the LiveCD itself with another USB key.  I have yet to get
persistence to work when booted from the LiveCD.  I noted that when booted
from the USB key the default user is "casper", but when booted from the
LiveCD the default user is "user".  This is the same LiveCD that I used to
create my USB key!  Can anyone help me?  Thanks!