Re: Live + installer + Usb key

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 10:07:12PM +0100, Didier Raboud wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just started to learn live-helper and I love it ! ;)

Me too!

[...]

> Ultimately, I would like to have an installer (sic) that would detect the
> size of the USB and partition it accordingly.
>
> Has this already been tried/succeeded ?

I think this is pretty straightforward (but I haven't tested it yet).
The thing is that when you dd the binary.img to the usb-disk, e.g.

dd if=binary.img of=/dev/sdb

you will get a /dev/sdb1 with the exact size of the binary.img

Then you just need to create a new partition (/dev/sdb2) that uses up
the rest of the usb-stick, and name that partition "live-rw". That
should be possible with a sfdisk one-liner.

> Any hints to reach the multiple
> goals ? Would this be of any other interest than mine ?
>
> I think that such a USB key could be sort of an ultimate tool to demonstrate
> the fantastic capabilities of Debian (as an OS and as a project). Maybe
> s/KDE4/<insert your favorite desktop>/g ;)

It sounds cool. Since the prices of usb-sticks are very low (even
8GB), one can also try out debian from a persistent live usb-stick for
quite some time until one is really sure that the bad other os is not
useful anymore.

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>