Re: ArtistX 0.6 question: rewrite wiki and manual

Marco Ghirlanda wrote:

> 1) how to use external apt sources and make sure they will go into the
> final iso? Need to add only debian-multimedia.org packages.

You need to place sources.list-like files in config/chroot_sources. The
extensions of the files are important - the .binary or .chroot extension
identify where the list ends up. You should also add a ".gpg" version of
each file too .binary containing the APT key. For example:

 config/chroot_sources/debian-multimedia.binary
 config/chroot_sources/debian-multimedia.binary.gpg

.. would make sure the contents of debian-multimedia.binary were in the
binary image's sources.list (and the corresponding GPG key imported)

> 2) how to add the user artistx to various groups for making effective
> the installation of software like ntfs3g or other packages that
> require that the user is added to groups he is not part of.

The clean way to perform this to preseed user-setup such that the user
is added to those groups when live-initramfs calls user-setup on boot.

> 3) how to test and include the new live installer (should I put the
> live installer udeb into binary_local-udebs/ ?)

Just set LH_DEBIAN_INSTALLER="live" and make sure you are building lenny
or sid. Adding the udeb is not required anymore.

> I'm willing to write all your answers in the wiki in the tutorial and
> help to write relevant section of the manual about these topics so
> nobody should ask again to build his custom Debian.

Personally, I would prefer them to be added to the manual; the wiki
already contains too much information, most of which is outdated or
misleading, etc.

> I would strongly recommend to include graphic customizations, groups
> management and the installer as options of Live

Cool, please file wishlist bugs against live-magic for each of these so
we can work out exactly what we need. Recent versions of live-magic do
have an installer option, btw.

Regards,

--
      ,''`.