Re: Cannot configure MySQL

On Friday 26 September 2008 05:49:28 Chris Lale wrote:
> Chris Lamb wrote:
> > Chris Lale wrote:
> >> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/HowTo/LAMP
> >
> > Looks good. However, I wouldn't recommend running lh_config multiple
> > times on the same config/ directory.
> >
> > Put (and commit) your config/ into a revision control system and re-run
> > lh_config to see why.
>
> I thought it was safe to run lh_config after lh_clean?
>

> What's the alternative? I suppose I could backup the config directory, run
> lh_config with parameters to create a new one, and manually copy back the
> pakages lists, includes, etc.
>
> Is there a better way?
I wouldn't call it a "better way", but what I do is run lh_config (sometimes
with options) first to generate the basic layout.  After that, I just edit
everything by hand.  I've had problems in the past with using lh_config more
than once.  It seems that when you run lh_config more than once, the defaults
(that are commented out) turn into the last thing the variable was set to,
instead of the actual defaults, and this can be confusing sometimes.

Also, I call lh_config as a normal user, and edit the config as a normal user.
This is why I added the "chown root:root /etc/init.d/lamp" to that small
script I showed you earlier.

> The first lh_config with no parameters creates the initial file system. As
> the project develops, I find that I need to use more features (locales,
> packages lists, etc). So I need to run lh_config again.

When I need to do this, I just edit the appropriate files and change the
variables.  Like for package lists, edit config/chroot and change the
LH_PACKAGES_LISTS variable.

--
Thanks:
Joseph Rawson