SOLVED* [Re: Many problems with live-rw partition]

Il mercoledì 20 agosto 2008 22:59:52 hai scritto:
> Il mercoledì 20 agosto 2008 16:31:54 Andreas Bombe ha scritto:
> > Either I'm doing something wrong or it really doesn't work all that

> You found some important bugs and those needs time to be fixed.

Good news:

Some of the bug you found are now fixed in my alioth's git repository, most of
these commits are already merged in debian-live's git repository too or are in
the way to me merged.

The code wrote seemed to work at first test, but I plan to rewrite a lot of it
since it is slow and ugly as hell. Anyway it is much better than it was
before.

> > It starts with not booting through and dropping into a shell.  There's
> > two issues.  First, it doesn't use the busybox mount in
> > scripts/live-helper but the normal mount binary, which fails without a
> > filesystem type given.  I fixed that by adding
> > '-t $(get_fstype "${dev}")' but then comes the second issue, remounting
> > ro isn't possible because the filesystem (the live-rw one) is busy.
>
> The first part will be added, I need to try to figure how to fix the other
> one.

Figured both, they were both bugs now fixed and merged.

> > It is used in the aufs after all, so it doesn't work.  My fix for that
> > one was not triggering the remount ro attempt by commenting the try_snap
> > calls in scripts/live since I do not need snapshot files here.
>
> I need to think on how to handle that case.

Separated the discovery part from the usage part, as you suggested.

> > Once I get it to boot without intervention, other issues crop up.  For
> > one, /dev is in /live/cow and therefore saved unnecessarily.  Also,
> > /etc/hosts and /etc/fstab appear to be appended with initial
> > configuration unconditionally, meaning that they grow longer with every
> > boot.  In the case of fstab it leads to tmpfs being mounted on /tmp
> > multiple times.

Fixed the /etc/host and /etc/fstab handling, which "en-passant" fixes also
modifying these files at build time, which is now preserved.

> That is true, both exclude pattern and avoid unnecessaries appends needs to
> be applied.

An exclude pattern in not there yet but I'm trying to spot all unnecessary
appends and kill them down.

> > Information on how to proceed would be appreciated.

You could now try to build a live-initramfs from my git repo and report
problems.

> I'll try to see if I can fix these issues, then I'll report back on ML.

Done :-)

*mostly
--
ESC:wq