Re: HAL stall/crash

> Has anyone had any trouble with the hardware abstraction layer (HAL)
> stalling and apparently crashing the boot on startup ?

A bit more info:

before HAL is started, Avahi-daemon starts with the warning: uses 32-bit
capabilities (legacy support in use)

then when it hangs .. if I hit 'ctrl-alt-Del' I get the error:

error: 'hal' exited outside expected code flow
Stopping Avahi...
Stopping Hardware abstraction layer hald.
modprobe: FATAL . Error running install command for ...
Asking all remaining processes to terminate ... done.

(then it really hangs ...)

I rebooted 10 times .. sometimes from cold start, others as a reboot and
only the first three times did it crash.  Then I tried booting the
syslinux 3.71_dfsg-3 cd . found my 'live' images so crashed .. unplugged
my harddrive and did it again (syslinux cd booted ok .. but no HAL on
this) .. then shut down, plugged harddrive back in and rebooted my image
and HAL crashed .. rebooted (cold) and tried 486 image and no problem ..
tried 486 image 3 times .. no problem.

that error message ' hal exited outside of expected code flow' really
bothers me .. any ideas?

thanks!
Harold