Maximum file size and FAT16

Hi all,

I was just building my own version of Debian Live with some additional
packages and run into the following problem:

------------
mkfs.vfat 2.11 (12 Mar 2005)
Loop device does not match a floppy size, using default hd params
/usr/bin/lh_binary_usb-hdd: line 198: 12431 Die maximale Dateigröße ist
überschritten                    cp -r -T ${CP_OPTIONS} binary/
chroot/binary.tmp
------------

My poor translation of the error message is "maximum file size
exceeded". This is because FAT16 can only handle files up to 2GB.
Unfortunately, live-helper defaults to FAT16.

It would be very nice if the script could check the file size and print
out a warning and fall back to FAT32 if the maximum file size of FAT16
is exceeded.

I have the strange feeling, that there is someone out there who can
provide a patch for this problem with superluminal velocity. ;-)

Greetings

Ronny