Re: [Fwd: Re: Debian Live Lenny Beta1]

On 02/09/2008, Martin Smith <mjs@rakupottery.org.uk> wrote:
> Michal Suchanek wrote:
>
> > On 02/09/2008, Jerome BENOIT <jgmbenoit@mailsnare.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > >  note that the keyboard issue is a generic issue for (only first ?)
> Intel
> > > Mac computer:
> > >  some informations can be grabbed on refit site.
> > >  A simple workaround would be to continue after a small lapse of time.
> > >
> > >  Jerome
> > >

> > Yes, this is some bug in the bios emulation in the macs. The timeout
> > workaround should be mentioned on the wiki already. On some macs
> > (iMacs?) unplugging and replugging the keyboard seems to help but this
> > does not work for me on a mini with a USB->PS2 adabtor.
> >

>  Same here with an intel mini, I originally had the (aluminium) kbd attached
> via
>  a powered usb hub, but removing it and attaching it directly to the machine
>  makes no diference, still I am game to try any patches that anyone can come
> up with.

The patch would be to add the timeout option to isolinux. You could do
that - copy the iso contents, edit the isolinux configuration file,
and re-create a bootable iso.

But I hope that somebody will add the option to the official images
and a new batch that boots automatically appears soon.

There was some opposition to the idea at least for d-i, though. People
point out that if you send the installation CD to an operator in a
datacenter, they put it into the machine, and it boots while they run
around 100M long rack to connect a cable it might cause problems.

This should be less of a problem for standard live CDs, though. They
aren't supposed to work for everybody who could possibly run Debian,
unlike the d-i.

Thanks

Michal