Re: Kernel Panic on IBM Thinkpad R50e

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 23:21:19 +0200, "Daniel Baumann" <daniel@debian.org>
said:
> jdietrch@fastmail.fm wrote:
> > Hi,

> sorry for the late answer...

No problem; thank you for answering!

> > The laptop is an IBM Thinkpad R50e.
>
> beeing a longtime thinkpad user, i'm actually surprised. thinkpads in
> general work extremly well with debian (or linux), however, i think can
> test that the cd on a R50 next week.

Well, I chose the Thinkpad because they do work so well with Linux.
I have had Debian Etch installed on it for some time, and it works
great.

> > First of all, there was no net connection. Udev had
> > renamed eth0 to eth1 and there was no entry for eth1 in
> > /etc/network/interfaces.
>
> this has been already reported by a couple of people, and is a really
> strange (it's a bug, but i don't know yet the exact cause for it).
>
> > Also, it couldn't mount my USB thumbdrive.
>
> could you elaborate on this? how did you try to mount them? did you get
> an error message?

I should have said that it didn't mount my thumbdrive. I was expecting
it to be mounted automatically; that's what I'm accustomed to. Because
of the issue of not being to boot the laptop with the Live CD again,
I didn't finish investigating the thumbdrive issue. I did boot my
desktop machine with the Live CD, and was able to successfully mount
the thumbdrive by hand just now. So it's not a problem after all.
Sorry for the noise.

> > So I thought I'd reboot the Live CD to get a clean start
> > for preparing a bugreport. But this time I got a kernel panic
> > on trying to mount the root filesystem. And it wasn't just
> > a transient error. I've tried probably six or eight more
> > times, and it's always the same.
>
> really strange. since we an exclude the fact, that the software has
> changed between the reboots, could you retry with a new media? that's
> the only thing i can imagine..

I did that already. I first burned a CD-RW with my fairly new
SATA DVD burner. That was the disk that worked once and then
not again. Then I used my old, reliable IDE Plextor CD burner
and burned a CD-R and that disk didn't work either. That CD-R
has successfully booted several times on my desktop machine.

> > Any ideas? If there's anything more I can do to
> > help with this issue, let me know. I'm not subscribed to
> > the list, so CC-ing me on any replies would be appreciated!
>
> hmm.. did you use persistency or something like that? did you had an usb
> stick plugged into while booting?

I'm not sure what you mean by persistency.
The only thing plugged into the laptop was a power cord and network
cable.

Just now I had the idea to try another Live CD I have on hand--Kanotix.
It didn't work either, and failed with a similar error message.
So it's probably an issue specific to this one laptop. But I wouldn't
think it's a hardware problem, as the current installation of Debian
on the harddrive is working fine. Strange.

Anyway, thanks a lot for taking the time to respond!

James Dietrich
--

  jdietrch@fastmail.fm

--