Re: Test results for: debian-live-lenny-i386-xfce-desktop.iso beta1

Luke Seubert wrote:
> Good day all,

Hi,

thanks a lot for your long and detailed mail.

> I assume the live
> installer, when made available, will automatically install the DE which
> folks choose to boot into, while not autoinstalling the other two?

the different live-systems will behave as if they are 'alone' on the
disk, same with live-installer, means.. there will be eight different
boot entries, like:

live-standard
live-gnome
live-kde
live-xfce

install-standard
install-gnome
install-kde
install-xfce

> In addition to Gnome, KDE, and XFCE, please consider adding the LXDE GUI
> for those computers with especially lean specifications.

for the package selection/flavours for the official images (means, those
which are autobuild on the server and are released as prebuilt images
alongside to the installer images), we do stick with what tasksel offers
for as desktop-tasks, since those are the tasks that can be choosen in
d-i. so best would be if you could persuade the tasksel maintainers to
add a lxde-desktop tasks for lenny+1.

however, building an lxde desktop image yourself would be very easy:

lh_config -d lenny -p standard-x11 --packages lxde
lh_build

> Overall, my compliments - lenny live runs very fast. It is up there with
> sidux for fast running Live CDs.

on usb sticks, it can be made almost as twice as fast, once we decrufted
live-initramfs for lenny+1.

> On the Pavilion ze4500 laptop however, there was a very slight and
> curious hiccup. At first, the partial message listed above was
> displayed. About two seconds later, the words " to boot:_", appeared at
> the end of the line, completing the boot message. The laptop then would
> boot normally. So this odd behavior with the boot prompt message might
> be effecting not just users of Qemu, but other folks as well, albeit
> without the severe time lag Qemu users have experienced. Real computers,
> not just virtualized computers, seem to be suffering a problem here.

the current syslinux version definitely sucks on some hardware (and this
is not a debian-live specific problem, it affects all distributions out
there) :/

> Udev eth0 --> eth1:

it appears that there is something really buggy wrt/ udev. the
persistent rules are removed, but still udev seems to cache the mac.
will be investigated, and fixed during next week.

> No autodetection and automount of NTFS/ext3 partitions or USB drives:

this is not a bug, this is debian. ;)

this is probably a common missunderstanding - people expect debian-live
to be a preconfigured system that does all the magics to work without
any configuration. this is not what debian-live is about. debian-live is
debian, but run from a cdrom (or usb stick/$whatever). not more, not
less. you /excately/ get what you would end up by installing debian onto
your harddisk with an installer cd. if debian doesn't autodetect and
automount partitions/devices, then debian-live doesn't too.

> lsusb package?:

same as with above - the package selection for the desktop images is
defined as what you get when doing tasksel. the standard-image is only
debian packages of priority standard and higher. if those do not add
lsusb to their selection, then we don't do either.

however, the rescue flavour is a 'own' selection of ours, where i just
added lsusb to the list. thank you for the hint.

> Default theme and wallpaper look good:
> --------------------------------------
> Once launched into XFCE proper, everything looks pretty good. I like the
> default theme and the default desktop background. I understand that this
> is not the intended wallpaper for the final release, but it is a good
> looking choice, and will hopefully be kept as an option.

by default, it will be the lenny theme provided through desktop-base
package, which allows you also to use the previous theme for etch (by
switching them manually).

> Please consider removing some wallpapers:

we don't alter packages or remove parts of packages that are installed.

if you want to get rid of some artwork, please take it up with the
individual package maintainers, or discuss it on
debian-desktop@lists.debian.org. there's nothing we can do about (and
removing them and thus altering the system is not an option).

> Bootsplash possible?:

debian doesn't have a bootsplash by default, so does debian-live. if you
are brave, you can start a thread again on
debian-desktop@lists.debian.org about it (and make sure you read the
thread about it when it came up last time shortly before the etch release).

> More software required to round out the desktop:

as written somewhere above, those are defined by the tasksel package.
please take it up with the maintainer of that package.

> As much network DFSG software as possible:

same here, need to be handled through tasksel.

I'm sorry to disappoint you in the most points, but that is how the
things are.

Regards,
Daniel