networking config being overwritten at startup

Philip Downer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build a live cd for a system with several interfaces and
> with other custom settings in it's /etc/network/interfaces file, I'm
> using live-helper built from git and building a system based on etch.
> The problem is that when I boot the cd the /etc/network/interfaces file
> is not my custom one, it only lists lo, eth0 and the system has only
> brought those interfaces up.
>
> I have added the custom /etc/network/interfaces file into
> config/chroot_local-includes and when I build the system I've enabled
> verbose output, debugging and interactivity. When I get the interactive
> prompt during the build of the system I can see that my
> /etc/network/interfaces file is the one which I have added and has not
> been altered, I did for a while think that this may have been the cause
> of my problem:
>
> mksquashfs: file chroot/etc/network/interfaces, uncompressed size 367
> bytes DUPLICATE
>
> i.e. the duplicate file might have overwritten my one (assuming the
> duplicate status is just going by filename).
>
> However after uncompressing and inspecting the squashfs file system in
> binary/casper (and just to make sure I also checked the
> filesystem.squashfs that is in the fully generated iso) I have found
> that the etc/network/interfaces file is my custom one.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what might be
> overwriting the /etc/network/interfaces file from squashfs or offer any
> other solution to enable a custom network setup.
>

> Regards,
>
> Phil

Hello,
until now i was just reading this list, since I'd have not that much to
contribute to the project.
But I think I can help you with this one.

Inside initrd your /etc/network.conf gets overwritten.
To be exact, it is:   (initrd.img)/scripts/live-bottom/23networking

I just don't know exactly if there's a bootparameter for stopping this
behaviour since we just replaced it for our needs, but I think there is one.

I hope that this helps you.

Regards,
Uwe Krause

--
 /////    Q u e l l t e x t   A G
//   //   Professionelle Software-Dienstleistungen

Vorstand: Arndt Sch?newald und Hans Peter Wiedau
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Heinz Bro?
HRB 14587 Amtsgericht Dortmund
USt-ID: DE210934152