live-helper, USB and gnome-full

Hello,
I'm experiencing a problem with live-helper and usb hdd.
The first time i created the image it worked, using gnome as package list and no other tweaks in the configuration.
After I added some more packages and used gnome-full, gdm is not started at boot anymore.
Even it says "Starting gdm..." without any errors when I issue /etc/init.d/gdm start it doesn't work.
I get an error saying avahi can't load however starting gdm as root works from tty (without start-stop-daemon).
This happens with qemu too.
I'm using lenny.
I also installed xdebconfigurator.
I've no special scripts at boot.

Any hints?
Thanks and congratulations for this nice work.

--
http://syx.googlecode.com - Smalltalk YX
http://lethalman.blogspot.com - Thoughts about computer technologies