persistence not working

I did all the howto said:

- I partionned with gparted (gui for parted).
here is the result:

Disk /dev/sdg: 8179MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      32,3kB  6292MB  6292MB  primary  fat32
 2      6292MB  7337MB  1045MB  primary  ext3
 3      7337MB  8176MB  839MB   primary  ext3         boot

- then I formated with:

# mkfs.vfat -F 32 /dev/sdg1
# mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdg2 -L casper-rw
# mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdg3

- then I exactly did what it was said. I use
"debian-live-etch-i386-gnome-desktop.iso" from
http://live.debian.net/cdimage/etch-builds/current/i386/

- eventually i booted on the usb key. It was working well but at next
reboot, all changes disappeared

Thank you for your answer

Quentin