non-squashed filesystem

El Tuesday 05 February 2008 15:44:09 Chris Fanning va escriure:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new on the list but I have had some success using casper on etch.
>
> We would like your opinion on a cluster setup that we're think of.
> The idea is to boot all diskless servers over the network using a
> single filesystem image.
> Does that sound like a good idea?

I dont have measures about that, but in the practice creating and using live
S.O.'s the delay of decompressing the image is not significant. But, there is
a little delay mounting it,
I believe that the gain for the processor to not use a squashfs image can be
lost by the server reading more data on the disk and transporting it by the
network,
When the latest squashfs with lzma does work, squashfs will become even more
faster.

> We have managed to do it in the workshop using a squashed filesystem,
> but we would like to avoid the overhead and use instead a non-squashed
> filesystem.
>
> I've been trying to do it, but I'm not having much luck.
> How is it done?

create a filesystem in a live path is easy,
make a directory in the live media path with the extension .dir and copy there
all the OS.

mkdir -p live/filesystem.dir
cp -av chroot/* live/filesystem.dir/

a file named filesystem.squashfs is not required, live-initramfs search for
compressed files and directories with predefined extensions and any name.
In this manner that decompressed filesystem should work,