mixing etch and lenny

Dear Sebastian,
  I am doing that with pinning ( not really lenny but etch-backports).

You have to  create a  preferences file  like:

Package: *
Pin: release a=etch-backports
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=stable
Pin-Priority: 800

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
Pin-Priority: 400

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 300

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian
Pin-Priority: 10

and place it on the chroot_sources directory of your configuration. It
will be placed on  /etc/apt/preferences if you apply the following patch
to lh_chroot_sources: ( Is it already available in live-helper?)

                       for FILE in config/chroot_sources/*.bootstrap

                        do
                                cat ${FILE} | grep -v "^##" >>
chroot/etc/apt/sources.list
                        done
+
+                       # PAIPIX deal with the apt Pin
+                       [ -f config/chroot_sources/preferences ] && cp
config/chroot_sources/preferences chroot/etc/apt/preferences
+
                fi

                # Update indices from cache

Also add the corresponding line to sources.list.bootstrap and
sources.list.binary

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

Please keep in ming that using one opf the most common packages in lenny
will force you libc6 and a series of other packages to be upgraded.

Hope this helps a bit.

All the best,
Antonio Amorim