Using Debian Live

John,

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:23:32 -0400
"John Lauterbach" <lauterba at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> There appears to be either a lack of pointers to information or the information needed to use Debian Live to help repair a system that will not boot on account of a repairable hard drive error.  In particular, I would like to run fsck on /dev/hda1 (or whatever it is called under Debian Live).  Attempts to do that as well as similar activities on existing hard drives seem to result in less than common error messages.

What exact commands did you attempt and what are the actual error messages?

Debian Live does nothing special with regards to naming devices.  You might
be seeing differences due to different drivers from different kernels,
though (e.g. sata drives could be named /dev/hda, /dev/hdb, etc. or /dev/sda,
/dev/sdb, etc. depending on which driver is used).  But this is a general
Linux question, not a Debian Live specific one.  That is why we have no doc
for it.

That being said, anybody can start a tutorial on how to use Debian Live for
common rescue jobs on our wiki if they wish.

Regards,
Ben
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org