apt-cacher and debian-live --debian-installer enabled (Re: d-l and installer, woes)

On Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 01:44:00PM -0400, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> apt-cacher people: debian-live retrieves debian-installer files using
> its mirror settings, which might be set to apt-cacher.  But this
> includes a kernel and initrd which aren't normally allowed to be
> retrieved.  I don't know where it should be fixed, though I don't
> expect it would be a problem to allow retrieving kernels.  Ideally
> apt-cacher would have a configurable regex.

Yes, I have been considering that.

> On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 11:18:43AM -0400, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > Regarding --debian-installer:
> [...]
>
> > The following caused by use of apt-cacher:
> >
> > --10:54:22--  http://localhost:3142/mirrors.kernel.org/debian//dists/sid/main/in
>
> > 10:54:22 ERROR 403: Sorry, not allowed to fetch that type of file: vmlinuz.
> >
> > I don't know if it's reasonable to just avoid use of a mirror in the
> > installer script.
> Since I'm not sure what change would resolve and be accepted by d-l,
> I've worked around it for now with this patch to a-c.
>
> I note that my first attempt used a too-loose regex /\.gz/ which
> caused the Packages.gz files to all break the following day, and due
> to some consequence d-l started to retrieve the entire archive, I
> think since the cached sid Packages was being served instead of the
> d-i Packages-udeb.

I haven't used debian-live. Are there any other file-types that it tries
to download through the upstream cache?

I'll have a look into this, but I can't see any fundamental problems
with supporting this.

Mark