USB system with modified kernel and minimal software

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 02:24:08PM -0600, Rene Sonderegger wrote:
> Justin and Ben, thanks for your comments!
>

> >> lh_config -d etch -b usb-hdd -p minimal --linux-packages "none"
> >> cp /usr/src/linux-image-2.6.20.19-rt_1_i386.deb
> >> config/chroot_local-packages
> >Are you sure this has the modules for squashfs and either aufs or
> >unionfs (depending on and consistent with the livehelper settings)?
> When compared with the log of some newer runs (see below), it looks like the
> squashfs-modules-2.6.18-5-486 and unionfs-modules-2.6.18-5-486 were not
> included due to --linux-packages "none" during the lh_config.
That's an intentional effect of the "none" setting.

To see why, run vanilla "lh_config" then read config/chroot (and
config/!(chroot) for good measure).

> New runs:
> After doing the following in an empty directory, I get a binary.img file.
> lh_config -d etch -b usb-hdd
> lh_build 2>&1 | tee log
-d sid probably makes much more sense.  In particular it will use
live-initramfs instead of casper (about this I know nothing more,
though).

> My last run from an empty directory was like this:
> lh_config -d etch -b usb-hdd
> cp /usr/src/linux-image-2.6.20.19-rt_1_i386.deb config/chroot_local-packages
> lh_build 2>&1 | tee log
>
> The standard kernel boots ok after I made the above corrections. However the
> modified kernel stoppes during the booting like this:

> sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
> loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
> BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-4) Built-in shell (ash)
> Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
> /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
> (initramfs)
>

> Does anyone have any suggestion what to do from here?
That's due to missing squashfs and unionfs/aufs.  You have to compile
the modules yourself if you're not using a standard kernel.  Note some
named.  In particular, "the argument to --linux-flavors must be the
same as the make-kpkg option --append-to-version but without the
leading hyphen character."

Justin