Add minicom to Debian Live

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 04:35:26PM +1100, Andrew Donnellan wrote:
> On 3/6/07, Blood Soil <bloodandsoil76@gmail.com> wrote:
> >The purpose of this email is to request the addition of 'minicom' to the
> >Debian Live CD.
> >
> >My situation:  I wanted to boot from a Debian Live CD and use minicom to
> >connect through my serial port to a Cisco Router.  I was disappointed to
> >discover that minicom is not included on the CD.
>
> Apt-get live-package and build your own Debian live CD!
>
> I really don't think minicom should be standard - most people don't
> need it, I have never used it.

One alternative would be screen. I just found out a few days ago that
it can be used over a serial line - and for those who don't have to
connect to Cisco routers on a regular basis, it has plenty of other
uses. Granted it doesn't have all the features that minicom has, but
in most cases it should do the job just fine.

Just my two cents (if that)
 --j