Prebuilt images broken?

I downloaded the KDE and standard 'release' images from
http://live.debian.net/cdimage/release/4.0_r0-rc1/i386/usb-hdd/debian-live-40r0-rc1-i386-kde-USB.img
and http://live.debian.net/cdimage/release/4.0_r0-rc1/i386/usb-hdd/debian-live-40r0-rc1-i386-standard-USB.img
respectively, then  tried to boot them with qemu.  Both images fail to
boot with the message "could not find kernel image: /vmlinuz".
Mounting the images with mount -o loop,offset=32256 shows that
/vmlinuz exists.  Any idea what's wrong?

I was unable to test the Gnome and XFCE images, since the
live.debian.net site is pretty slow for me (20 KB/s).

The KDE4 image linked from the front page works fine, so I don't think
it's a problem with my qemu setup.

Thanks!
Will