mixing etch and lenny

Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> Is it possible to tell live-helper to install gnumed-client from testing while
> keeping the rest from etch ?

I /personally/ would backport the package and use it through a
repository (or include it into chroot_local-packages). because...

> apt-pinning ?

...pinning between stable and testing can lead to some pretty
unpredictable outcomings. remember, the toolchain needed for your
package from testing gets pulled into the stable system (e.g. libc and
libgcc for c programms). however...

> It tries to update many packages from testing if I add the repository.

...the only required thing for pinning is to have /etc/apt/preferences
configured *before* the package gets installed. you can do this, as of
now, not in an automatic way, because both lh_chroot_local-includes and
lh_chroot_local-hooks are, by default, always called after
lh_chroot_{packages,packageslists,local-packages,local-packageslists}.

the reason for that is, that lh_chroot_*hooks and lh_chroot_*includes
should be the two very last things done before creating the rootfs
image, and i don't want to change that. so, i'll add a check for
config/chroot_apt/preferences.{binary,bootstrap} into lh_chroot_apt,
which is the helper to take care about the configuration of apt during
the chroot stage.

Email:          daniel.baumann at panthera-systems.net