Re. Cannot build USB image

HI daniel,

that was promptly ;-) Thank you.

> Daniel wrote:
>> I'm running lh on the current Ubuntu beta. I'm trying to build an USB image.
>
> don't use live-helper from ubuntu, it's not maintained there and thus
> outdated.
>
> please install the version from sid (it's just shell scripts, no
> depends, can be installed without any trouble on ubuntu).

So I will just try that. I hope that this works, otherwise I will send
updated information to the list.

>> This takes a while installing and downloading and you know what... After
>> that I have an image in ./chroot (which is strange because the ISO
>> building process puts the image directly into ./ )
>>
>>   ls -l chroot/binary.img
>
> that's not strange, that's normal.. the build is chrooted in order to
> use the toolchain from the distribution we are building.

Well, I wonder why the USB-image builds into ./chroot, while the
ISO-Image does not... However, if it only worked.

>> However, that image seems to have no content at all:
>
> your build-process seem to have stopped, you need to give more
> information (such as the last messages on the screen before it fails).

It wasn't a failure notice, everything seemed ok to me. If I remember
right the last message was "deconfiguring <something>".  However, I will
give the new debian/sid version a try, and see that this works.

>> a specify the grub bootloader the image has content but doesn't boot
>> (obviously, because grub cannot boot of an USB stick)
>
> the automatic creation of usb images with grub is currently not
> supported, use syslinux.

I know, and wouldn't have no problem with that, of course.

>> As I am currently preparing an article for a german magazine on creating
>> USB boot images using live-helper any help would greatly appreciated.
>
> which one that is?
>
> have you read this one?
> http://www.linuxmagazin.de/online_artikel/workshop_debian_live_system_mit_etch

Not yet, thank you to point that to me. Well, the article is due to be
published in the next issue of PC-Welt Linux. You might be well aware
that PC-Welt Linux' target audience is quite different from linux
magazin's, though.

Thank you,
/eno