sid system dumps into initramfs

Hello,

I came across another wonderful opportunity to broaden my horizon and
was wondering whether anyone could assist: I am trying to build a live
CD with sid for the distribution and aufs to handle unionfs.
I'm using live-helper 1.0~a28-1 and live-initramfs 1.102.1-1.

The ISO is built OK, but when I try to boot from it, I am dumped in
the intramfs.
live.log says:

> Begin: Running /scripts/live-premount ...
> Begin: Adding live session user ... ...
> Done.
> Done.
> debug: Can not mount backdev /dev/loop0 (image = /live/image/live/filesystem.squashfs) on croot/imagename //filesystem.squashfs
> mount: Mounting /dev/loop0 (/live/image/live/filesystem.squashfs) on //filesystem.squashfs
> Can not mount /dev/loop0 (/live/image/live/filesystem.squashfs) on //filesystem.squashfs

I can see a /dev/loop0 in the initramfs, but if I try something like
> mount -o loop -t squashfs /live/image/live/filesystem.squashfs filesystem.squashfs
I get a
> mount: Mounting /dev/loop0 on filesystem.squashfs failed: No such
device

What am I doing wrong here? What important piece of information have I
left out? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
 -Juergen