Patches to persistent changes to snapshot on usb stick

First I'd like to describe the thing I tried to
accomplish,

- Prior to shutdown, take a snapshot of what have been
changed since boot and make it persistent to a
partition or file.
- When machine is booted, retrieve the snapshot and
restore the changes that it consists of.

The reason why I don't want to use root-persistent was
because usb stick has limited life of write (thousands
of times).

By leveraging what was provided by root-snapshot, I
was able to (almost) do it with minor changes in the
attached patch files.

Below is the way I make it work (please tell me if you
can make it work with make-live).

1) Unpack initrd.img, patch live.patch and
live-helpers.

2) Patch live-helpers under
/usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts.

3) patch live-snapshot under /sbin/

4) Create a partition labeled 'cow-sn' on usb stick,
or create a dummy file named 'cow-sn.squashfs'
directly under a partition of usb stick. Partition can
be vfat or ext2/ext3.

5) reboot, specify 'persistent' on booting prompt.
Initramfs will copy whatever in 'cow-sn' or
'cow-sn.squashfs' (I don't know what will happen if
you use both) to /cow.

6) To take a snapshot to persist it to usb stick, '.
/etc/live.conf; live-snapshot
--resync-string=$COWSNAP'

I haven't been able to make the last step
automatically happen on shutdown (I can't make
root-snapshot work this way either).

Let me know if it works for you.

Thanks,
Kenneth