Where is my cow?

Hello,

I have a little problem with the layout of the unionfs on my live CD:
'unionctl / --list' shows that /cow is part of the union, but I can't
find it. I sometimes like to add branches to the union and used to set
/cow read-only to make sure that all writes go to the new branch (a
sort of selective persistency mechanism).

A cursory look at the filesystem seems to indicate that /cow is added
to the union from the initrd and goes on to live in /live/cow - but I
can't manipulate it when it's residing there, though it does seem to
do its job nonetheless.

I'm using live-helper 1.0~a21-1 and live-initramfs 1.95.1-1.
Is there still a way to manipulate the original cow branch?

Thanks
 -Juergen