debian live under an alternate kernel

Justin Pryzby wrote:
> Is there a nice way of booting debian-live with a custom kernel (not
> in an apt repo)?

copy it into config/chroot_local-includes and set LIVE_LINUX_PACKAGES=none

don't forget to compile your kernel with unionfs and squashfs modules,
and an initrd.

> I can cause the kernel to be installed but it seems
> this happens later than grub/syslinux is configured so it's not listed
> and casper/ and the menu require munging.

you need to follow the debian scheme, e.g. placing the files in /boot as
vmlinuz-$version and initrd.img-$version etc.

i personally wouldn't go that way which is too much of a hassle, and
just use make-kpkg to produce custom kernel deb packages. they should
integrate nicely if you just put them into chroot/config_local-packages
and set LIVE_LINUX_PACKAGES=none.

Email:          daniel.baumann at panthera-systems.net