Problem building a live system : where to look for causes ?

Le mar 24 jui 2007 09:44:55 CEST, Fr?d?ric BOITEUX
<fboiteux at calistel.com> a ?crit :

> 	Hello,
>
>   I'm trying to build an Etch live system for net boot with live-helper
> (1.0~a19-1) and live-initramfs (1.91.5-1).
>  The make-live command doesn't success and I don't get resulting
> squashfs filesystem.
>   I've set --verbose and --debug options in make-live command, and
> found that in lh_binary command, it can't install squashfs-tools, for
> name resolution problem :

> P: Begin building root filesystem image...
> D: Executing: aptitude install --assume-yes  squashfs-tools
> Reading package lists...
> Building dependency tree...
> Reading extended state information...
> Initializing package states...
> Writing extended state information...
> Reading task descriptions...
> Building tag database...
>   squashfs-tools
> 0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 95.3kB of archives. After unpacking 274kB will be used.
> Writing extended state information...
> Err http://ftp.debian.org etch/main squashfs-tools 1:3.1r2-6.1
>   Temporary failure resolving 'ftp.debian.org'
> E: Failed to fetch http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/squashfs/squashfs-to
> ols_3.1r2-6.1_i386.deb: Temporary failure resolving 'ftp.debian.org'
> D: Reading configuration file config/common
> D: Reading configuration file config/bootstrap
>
> What I don't understand is that it succeed in the chroot construction
> installing a bunch of packages, but fails to resolve ftp.debian.org in
> the binary building...
>
> As a side note, the lh_binary continues to run even with install
> errors, and the make-live command don't report any error nor return a
> non-zero value.
>
>   I don't know where to look for the cause of my problem, I've looked
> at the lh_binary_rootfs program but with no clues... From the whole
>  run picture in /usr/share/doc/live-helper/README, it seems that a
> resolv.conf should be installed before lh_binary_rootfs is run, but I
> don't know how to verify this...
>
>   Any help would be appreciated !

I've finally found a workaround : the LIVE_CHROOT_BUILD variable wasn't
defined anywhere, preventing installation of resolv.conf file before to
build binary image. I've got my live system with :
  env LIVE_CHROOT_BUILD=enabled ./make-live <my-options...>

but anyway, I wonder what is the good method to debug live-helper
scripts...

	Fred.