Noise from fsck

Alle domenica 1 luglio 2007, Daniel Baumann ha scritto:

> > It will happen only if the user will use stackable fses ("snapshots"
> > saved back in the r-o media at /live)
>
> live-installer does not and will not care about snapshots. this opens a
> can of worms and is not supportable from the debian point of view (if a
> user wants to do nasty things, he should just create a 'unclean' squashf
> simage).

I meant as I wrote "stackable fses", ("snapshot" was here to recall the mostly
broken live-snapshot helper) so I do not mean just the custom ones, but also
the official ones.

Stackable fs the name of the files present on "/live" of the r-o media, if
they are more than just 1. e.g. one for a base system and some more that adds
just X, then gnome or kde, 4 files that could lead to different systems,
triggered by a bootparm at boot time; or the unofficial ones like a custom
user-created "diff" squashfs.

For now this is just supported at boot time, but it should and some code is
here, to support that at build time too.

I think we discussed about that in m-l just regarding the build process and
about the "modules" bootparm supported by live-initramfs.

I think It should be supported by live-installer too, otherwise future images
with multiple squashfs could not me safely installed (nothing about custom
snapshots, although it is a way a user could add a .squashfs file into
the /live directory).

> second, to actually instal the content of the running system is a very
> bad idea, because of three things: as said above, it is not debian
> anymore due to changed/removed files, and second, one has to deal with a
> lot of runtime generated files (which are depending on the applications
> installed, not that good predictable), and it's just slower.

Yes, I know about that, but it is anyway an interesting feature, one just
boots the live system, install 2 packages, customize it a bit and then
install it. Not a priority, but an interesting feature to have IMHO (I know
you do not like that).

I agreee that for the first times, to not have d-i people against us, we
should not provide that marvelous install feature (or at least we should hide
it for non techical savvy people or put huge disclaimers like "You will lose
installation support from debian people if you install your customized
version").

But people could anyway build a debian-live image with a f*cked up chroot,
install from a single f*ckedup squashfs and ask for support on #debian in a
legal way.... there are so many ways to shoot in our foot that we cannot and
should not try to prevent people to do that. Also d-i could be rebuilded and
installed in the wrong way, so why being so critical on a really nice to have
install feature?

> i've replaced
> it with a 'touch /fastboot' and added nofastboot bootparameter.

Ok, you also removed checkroot.sh links deletion?

--
ESC:wq