initramfs dropping to shell without login

I am making a live cd for myself with a custom 2.6.18 kernel.  It is Debian
Etch with the live-initramfs package coming from the Debian Live repo.  What
I have a question about is this:

I boot into the Live CD in qemu to test it and right after the root
filesystem is being mounted I get droped into a shell (ash) in Busybox.  I
get this output:

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
> (initramfs)

What is causing this?  How would I fix it?  Should I build the kernel
without the kernel-package '--initrd' switch?  I googled for this quite a
bit.  I get mixed results and am stuck.  If you need more info, let me know.

Thanks!