USB Persistency

I have just tested several USB Live Distros, as per the instructions found at

How does a live USB Debian Linux created by the make-live from the new
live-helper package excatly make sure that changes are stored back to the USB
stick? It seems to use a single FAT16-formatted partition only on the USB

If I create a live USB Linux according to the instructions at

the USB stick uses an ext2 bootable partition so as to make writing changes to
the stick easier, but it only does so upon a shutdown event.

I wonder whether there is an easy way to automatically write all the changes
to the stick automatically every 12 or 24 hours, perhaps triggered by a cron
task. How difficult would that be? Alternatively, has someone found any other
satisfying solution for this?

Juergen Neuhoff