USB Persistency

I have just tested several USB Live Distros, as per the instructions found at

	http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/Howto/USB

How does a live USB Debian Linux created by the make-live from the new
live-helper package excatly make sure that changes are stored back to the USB
stick? It seems to use a single FAT16-formatted partition only on the USB
stick.

If I create a live USB Linux according to the instructions at

	http://wiki.flimzy.com/index.php/Install_Debian_on_USB

the USB stick uses an ext2 bootable partition so as to make writing changes to
the stick easier, but it only does so upon a shutdown event.

I wonder whether there is an easy way to automatically write all the changes
to the stick automatically every 12 or 24 hours, perhaps triggered by a cron
task. How difficult would that be? Alternatively, has someone found any other
satisfying solution for this?

Juergen Neuhoff