xfce desktop needs some love

Using the xfce-junior package list (which is just xfce plus some extra
packages) installs gnome-session (a dependency of gdm), which apparently
has a higher priority in the alternatives system than xfce4-session as
a x-session-manager.  As a result, gdm ends up starting gnome-session
with xfwm4.  Because the rest of GNOME wasn't installed, there are no
windows, no panels, no menus ... essentially all the user sees is a
desktop background and no amount of clicking will make anything happen.

Somehow we need to ensure this doesn't happen.  Obviously we could
force xfce4-session to be chosen by overriding it with a direct call
to update-alternatives somewhere, but this isn't really a debian-live-
specific issue.  How would we solve this for non-debian-live users who
want to use gdm + xfce4-session?  Isn't this a bug in /etc/gdm/Xsession?
Shouldn't it prefer xfce4-session over gnome-session if x-window-manager
is xfwm4 instead of just running x-session-manager?

Ben
--
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg@debian.org