Add minicom to Debian Live

On 3/7/07, Blood Soil <bloodandsoil76@gmail.com> wrote:
> Knoppix includes minicom.

Knoppix is a 700MB CD. Debian-Live is a toolkit for building CDs
whatever size you want. The builds that Daniel autobuilds are the
standard Debian base, KDE, GNOME and XFCE CDs. The minimal CD needs to
be small. So what if Knoppix ships it?

As I already said, if you need minicom, apt-get install live-package
and build it yourself :)

> It's a useful tool for connecting to routers and other such devices through
> your workstations serial port.
>
> It's a small program and it depends on only 2 libraries.  Minimal system
> impact.
>
> I don't see any reason NOT to include it.

andrew@debian:~$ apt-cache show minicom
Package: minicom

Minicom is *optional*. Really you should persuade the relevant
developers that minicom *really* needs to be upgraded to standard
priority.

> You say that "most people don't need it".  How did you come to that
> conclusion?

Well, firstly, I can say that neither I nor anyone I personally know
have ever had to use it. Secondly, PCs nowadays are starting to *not
even ship* serial ports. Thirdly, if you need to access routers via a
serial port, you probably have enough skill to rebuild the CD yourself
to include minicom...

--
Andrew Donnellan
ajdlinuxATgmailDOTcom (primary)    ajdlinuxATexemailDOTcomDOTau (secure)