make-live behind a proxy

So I think it turns out that it isn't related to make-live at all.  On
my system in /etc/apt/apt.conf I have a line that reads

Acquire::http::Proxy "http://3.87.248.1:88";;

so I thought it was using this to set the proxy, but I also have

$ echo $http_proxy
http://3.87.248.1:88

If I unset this variable then I can't apt-get anything.  If I set it
inside the chroot with --hook sh it works.  Seems that the line in
apt.conf does nothing but I don't have a clue why.  The problem is that
by the time it runs the shell, it has already bombed while trying to
grab the packages, is there a way to make it try again with this
variable set?
--Daniel