how to make a really small debian on usb

Hello everyone, I'm new here.
    I use debian/sid, and have installed the live-package.

    I edited the configuer file "/etc/make-live.conf" with usb/mini/sid,
then run "make-live".
# make-live
    It stopped with error below:
"/usr/sbin/lh_configapt: line 26:
/root/debian-live/chroot/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00make-live_recommends.conf: No
such file or directory"
    But there was no directory named "apt.conf.d" in
"/root/debian-live/chroot/etc/apt/",
so I made the "apt.conf.d" dir,  unmount the proc-live fs, and run
"make-live" again.
# mkdir /root/debian-live/chroot/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/
# umount /root/debian-live/chroot/proc
# make-live
This time it worked, and generated a img file successfully.
    Is it a bug?

    And I want to make a really small debian on usb with GUI.
I think I should use buzybox instead of coreutils, and fluxbox.(and use upx
compress the binary?)
    How to do this?

    Last question, is it possible to build a debian on usbkey with fat32
format (such as RIP Linux)?
So I can use its rest space in WindowsXP.
Sorry for poor English.