fromhd= support a la knoppix (e.g. boot from compressed image on hard drive or CF)

I was wondering if there are any plans to include functionality like
Knoppix' and DSL's fromhd=.  Some people call this a "poor man's
install" and others call it a "frugal install"

In particular, I'd like to be able to have grub on my hard drive or
usb set to boot from a compressed image on the hard drive.

1. hard-drive-based installation that is functionally identical to live-CD

2. less space taken on hard drive- making it more suitable for
CF-based embedded systems

3. live-CD technology results in reduction in hard drive writing-
again, more suitable for flash-based systems

Here's how it works in Knoppix...

-- start quote --

Test remastered version without creating cloop file/iso

i use a setup similar to knoppix terminal server to test the
remastered files without having to recreate a cloop image every time:
the remastered files live in an ext2 filesytem in a loopfile
(knoppix_loop) mounted rw (this is where i chroot in). when i want to
test the current setup, i have another machine network boot and use
the files from the loopfile directly (needs another miniroot.gz). See

If you want to use only one machine, you'll have to reboot (or use
qemu) and use the "loopfile" and "fromhd" cheatcodes (see
User:Ml#miniroot_changes). For example, this is what my grub boot
entry looks like:

title           Remastered Knoppix
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /boot/myknoppix/vmlinuz fromhd=/dev/hda4
loopfile=/samba/share/isos/knoppix_loop lang=us ramdisk_size=100000
init=/etc/init apm=power-off nomce vga=791 quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
initrd          /boot/myknoppix/miniroot.gz

 Booting Knoppix images with GRUB

    * First copy /boot off the Knoppix cd to your boot partition (or
even your dos partition). I named mine boot.knoppix

Copy the /KNOPPIX directory to your root directory* of any hard disk.
You may place it somewhere other than the boot partition (ext2/3,
reiserfs, vfat are supported).

        root   (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot.knoppix/isolinux/linux 2 fromhd=/dev/hda4 lang=us
        initrd /boot.knoppix/isolinux/minirt.gz

    * notice the fromhd parameter: it's the location of the /KNOPPIX directory
    * reboot and have fun.

--end quote--

The quote is from...

Tony Godshall (g)