From: "Llu?s Gras" <serni@serni.net>
To: <debian-live-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 05, 2006 2:22 PM
Subject: USB boot on buggy bioses recipe

Hi ... we have about 30 pc at school that doesn't boot correctly from usb
devices, by now i'm doing network installs with partimage but in some
cases, wifi access only pc i don't know how to do it. In these i like to
install our own Live Debian based distro, Xarnoppix build up with
makeliveusbcd a very similar project but with diferent guidelines
regarding points 2 and 3 of Debian Live Initiative.

I think the recipe would be helpful when Debian Live allows usb boot, ...
it seems to work correctly in i386.

xarbox:~# grub-floppy /dev/fd0

xarbox:~# fdformat /dev/fd0

xarbox:~# mke2fs /dev/fd0

xarbox:~# mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0

xarbox:~# mkdir -p /media/floppy0/boot/grub

xarbox:~# touch /media/floppy0/boot/grub/{menu.lst,device.map}

xarbox:~# nano /media/floppy0/boot/grub/menu.lst

default 0
timeout 10
color cyan/blue white/blue

title Xarnoppix USB BOOT FLOPPY
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0
initrd (hd0,0)/initrd.img

xarbox:~# nano /media/floppy0/boot/grub/device.map

(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/sdb

# I have a SATA disk ( /dev/sda ) then USB device becomes /dev/sdb
xarbox:~# grub-install --root-directory=/media/floppy0 '(fd0)'

xarbox:~# umount /dev/fd0
xarbox:~# reboot

cu