was: make-live iso kde-core won't start X (Marco Ghirlanda)

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 21:04 +0200, Marco Ghirlanda wrote:
> Tried to boot a burned cd and voila': it works (Thinkpad T42P).
> More and more I think this should be stated on the wiki: make-live
> produces iso which doesn't boot X on Vmware or Qemu.

It probably worked because your Thinkpad just happens to have a video
card at the PCI address in the xorg.conf. The solution for this general
case is to get the dpkg-reconfigure xorg-x11 stuff working again. For
now, you could modify the xorg.conf and comment out the PCI address. The
VESA driver will automatically probe the address so the line is useless
and only causes problems.