Just discovered another project

It seems to me that it takes a normal system and 'lives' it, rather
than building a system from the ground up like we do. Still, one thing
I would like to see in make-live some time is the ability to use
unionfs to merge extra filesystems in. This would allow small squashfs
filesystems to be placed in /mods or something like that to add extra
stuff.

andrew

On 6/20/06, Daniel Baumann <daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net> wrote:
> Andrew Donnellan wrote:
> > It's a set of shell scripts - it's mostly cool because it has each
> > filesystem hierarchy as a separate squashfs system - you can just add
> > 'module' files on by a simple reburn.
>
> I had a short look at it. besides that is something completely diffrent
> by building a live system out of a 'normal' system than specifically
> from a debian system as we do it, those linux-live scripts do:
>
>   * support things we likely do not need (e.g. ability to boot it from
>     dos or windows environments).
>
>   * support things we don't want (e.g. those 'module images'; we do just
>     install aditional debs in the running system as we expect it to do
>     with every debian system).
>
>   * use a diffrent approach without compression (no squashfs)
>
> for the remaining rest, they are pretty similar to our own scripts,
> except that we separeted them a bit better; that means that except from
> the splash screen (which sources of it are included in the live-package
> tarball), everything else is non-binary stuff. linux-live scripts does
> ship syslinux, memtester etc. directly as binary without mentioning it
> or its licenses, but that is just a detail and not important when just
> looking at the concept.
>
> --
> Address:        Daniel Baumann, Burgunderstrasse 3, CH-4562 Biberist
> Email:          daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net
> Internet:       http://people.panthera-systems.net/~daniel-baumann/

Andrew Donnellan
http://andrewdonnellan.com