Re: please do not remove all tags that are no longer emitted!

On 2022-12-05 03 h 20, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
Hi,

As there has been discussions about removing tags that are no longer
emitted, I wanted to point that it might make sense to keep those tags
for at least three use cases:
1) to check old source packages that were removed from Debian,
before they are reintroduced in Debian
2) to check unofficial packages
3) to check old packages while tracking history, as in
https://trends.debian.net

Regarding trends.debian.net, I use the following tags:
debian-build-system
debhelper-compat-level
source-format
patch-system
direct-changes-in-diff-but-no-patch-system
vcs-fields-use-more-than-one-vcs
vcs
vcs-uri
no-dep5-copyright
missing-tests-control
debian-rules-missing-required-target
rules-do-not-require-root
silent-on-rules-requiring-root
rules-require-root-explicitly
rules-silently-require-root
package-is-co-maintained
package-is-team-maintained
package-is-maintained-by-individual

Lucas

At least on my end, Russ's last email convinced me working on the current pain points wrt tags that seem to emit a lot of false positives might be a better idea than removing "old" tags.

I might propose to remove some (especially targeted at the python ecosystem) if I happen to find they don't serve a purpose anymore and it helps clean code I'm working on, but nothing systematic.

I feel discussions like the current one on the removal of the 'very-long-line-length-in-source-file' tag [1] are beneficial and will help us make compromises and move forward though. If I happen to propose a change that would remove a tag you care about, I would highly welcome feedback.

Cheers,

[1]: https://salsa.debian.org/lintian/lintian/-/merge_requests/430

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀