Re: Potential depends on libregexp-shellish-perl instead of libregexp-wildcards-perl for lintian?

Dear Axel,

I appreciate a lot your detailed answer! Not only does it demonstrate your point but it also makes me understand the need in lintian better. So that you for that!

I feel fine knowing that that yourself and Christoph have had the opportunity to align on the use of libregexp-wildcards-perl in lintian and that no patch were immediately needed for the packaging.

but libregexp-wildcards-perl has benefited from slightly more
support (including packaging updates and availability on salsa)
recently.

I think you meant libregexp-shellish-perl here.

Oops, you're absolute right. I meant libregexp-shellish-perl.
Additionally, upstream-wise, Regexp::Shellish has seen its last
release in 2002 while Regexp::Wildcards has seen its last release in
2013. That's 20 years vs 9 years. And the upstream maintainer of
Regexp::Shellish has made his latest upload in 2004 while the upstream
maintainer of Regexp::Wildcards has made his latest upload in 2021. So
the latter one is much more likely to respond in cases of issues.

Yes, this is a very good point! For some reason, I failed to notice that Regexp::Shellish had not been updated for so long on the upstream side.
This is a clear drawback.

So as of now, libregexp-wildcards-perl is still my favourite even
though it doesn't look perfect either. But it at least does exactly
what we need in lintian.

I agree. The points you made are most convincing. I would add that replacing one implementation by another requires an extra effort (implementation + testing) that I think would only pay off if one solution was measurably better than the other.

Thank you again.

Best regards,
Olivier