Re: Markdown done

Felix Lechner wrote:

> > I am all in favour of the move to Markdown, but I wonder if there is a
> > cleaner solution than using so many of these really rather ugly HTML
> > entities?
>
> So do I.
>
> I briefly considered sticking with plain HTML, but then remembered you
> favored Markdown when I went with RestructuredText for the testing
> manual.

You are technically correct, I do indeed favour Markdown over
RestructuredText. But…

> Alas, most of them employ * or _ for some form of emphasis. Perhaps we
> could use MediaWiki, which uses single quotes?

… I feel like this is the wrong framing. You're prompting me to
comment between a set of possible replacements, without demonstrating
that any of them are better than what we had before.

I am sure there were problems with the existing solution, but I don't
see that my mild preference for Markdown over RestructuredText has
anything to do with the case against HTML. To cite that preference as
justification for moving in the first place feels like a non-sequitur
to me.

Regards,

--
      ,''`.