Re: libjpeg-turbo: versions in debian/*.symbols files are missing the epochs

Control: clone -1 -2
Control: reassign -2 lintian
Control: severity -2 wishlist
Control: retitle -2 lintian: detect mismatches between symbols files and changelog versions

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 15:04:08 +0800 Paul Wise wrote:

> The versions in the debian/*.symbols files are missing the epochs. This
> means that packages using symbols newer than buster will not upgrade
> libjpeg62-turbo and libturbojpeg0 when being upgraded to bullseye.

It would be great if lintian could detect when a version number in the
symbols files does not match one of the upstream or Debian versions in
the Debian changelog files. Versions older than the oldest version in
the Debian changelog file can be ignored of course.

I'd suggest structuring this as two complaints with two severities:

 * At error level, probably ftp-master rejected, for when a symbols
   version is just missing the epoch. So a check that any of the
   versions in the Debian changelog file would match the symbol
   versions if the epoch were present in the symbols version.
 * At warning or info level, for when symbols version just doesn't
   match any of the versions in the Debian changelog file.

Both of these need to take into account that the versions in the
symbols file might be missing the Debian revision or they might have a
tilde appended to the Debian revision in order to allow backports.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise