the safety of commands run by lintian

Hi all,

I discussed the safety of `dash -n` and `bash -n` with Jakub Wilk.
These are used by lintian to check for bashisms. We concluded that it
was possibly unsafe to use the -n option with arbitrary scripts. TBH I
expect that other tools (such as binutils, see the thread below) run by
lintian are similarly unsafe and I wonder if the ftp-master profile
should be hardened such that it does not run any commands external to
lintian and its Perl library dependencies. The alternative might be for
ftp-master to run lintian on a VM or an external machine.

<pabs> I have a vague recollection that you mentioned that `sh -n` is
unsafe in some situations. today I learned that lintian uses that to
check for bashisms
<_jwilk> I have this vague recollection too. I don't remember the details ATM.
<_jwilk> I've found this in my IRC logs:
https://lists.debian.org/87lfqriagj.fsf@mid.deneb.enyo.de
<_jwilk> I fuzzed "bash -n" and "dash -n" in the past and found memory safety bug in both.
<_jwilk> #878697 could probably be exploited for code execution.
<_jwilk> There's also #858288, but I don't think anyone combines -n with -c.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise