Overrides in Package

Hi,

We have a 16 year old product that for historical reasons deploys to /opt and would require way too much effort for the gain to move somewhere else. Unfortunately, that means we get a lot of dir-or-file-in-opt warnings in our build logs, for thousands of files.

We'd like to use overrides to cut down on the noise, but we see that the file lives in the /usr tree of the build host and well, we have developer boxen where we test builds, staging and production build hosts and so on. This means that we'd have to update all of those machines every time we wanted an override in some package or another.

What we'd like to know is that if there is some way to specify an override from within the package tree itself or some way to request that behavior from Lintian. Then, the build would be machine invariant and we'd not need to keep updating all of these machines.

Many thanks for your time and attention to this.

Best,

coyot
GLENN GLAZER | Senior Software Engineer
m: