Dealing with Lintian tags untestable using standard Debian packaging tools

Hi,

Ideally, the Lintian test suite would test all tags. I would actually
like to require it. We are doing quite well. 16 tags are currently
untested out of 1,394. You can see a list below.

Unfortunately some tags are hard to test. Debian's standard tools will
not create packages that trigger them. Instead, they produce error
messages such as:

    dpkg-source: error: source package format '3.0 (unknown-format)' is invalid

or

    dpkg-source: error: syntax error in
control-file-duplicate-field-1/debian/control at line 11: duplicate
field Depends found.

I would like to remove these tags. They currently are:

    unknown-source-format
    syntax-error-in-control-file
    syntax-error-in-debian-tests-control
    debian-tests-control-is-not-a-regular-file
    missing-runtime-tests-field

These five tags are part of the old suite 'source', which uses
low-level programs such as 'ar', 'cat', 'sed', or 'awk' to trigger
them. I would like all tests for source packages to use standard tools
such as 'dpkg-source'. (9 out of 27 already do, and many others are
done.) That will make the five tags above untestable. I would like to
delete them. Lintian may still raise exceptions.

I would also like to remove the tag
'malformed-debian-changelog-version'. It has never been testable using
'dpkg-buildpackage'. Lintian will produce another type of error.

Please share your thoughts!

Kind regards,
Felix Lechner

* * *

# Untested tag: bin-sbin-mismatch
# Untested tag: changed-by-invalid-for-derivative
# Untested tag: debian-files-list-in-source
# Untested tag: directory-in-etc-sv-directory-without-executable-run-script
# Untested tag: invalid-field-for-derivative
# Untested tag: invalid-version-number-for-derivative
# Untested tag: malformed-debian-changelog-version
# Untested tag: old-python-version-field
# Untested tag: package-supports-alternative-init-but-no-init.d-script
# Untested tag: package-uses-deprecated-source-override-location
# Untested tag: patch-system
# Untested tag: script-uses-unversioned-python-in-shebang
# Untested tag: tar-errors-from-control
# Untested tag: vcs
# Untested tag: vcs-uri