Is restriction-formula-with-versioned-dpkg-dev-conflict useful?

Description for restriction-formula-with-versioned-dpkg-dev-conflict reads:

If a restriction formula appears in the build dependencies or if the Build-Profiles field is used in a binary package stanza then the source package has to build depend on dpkg-dev (>= 1.17.14) for minimal restriction formula support.

So far so good, but we have a separate tag (restriction-formula-without-versioned-dpkg-dev-dependency) for checking Build-Depends.

It must not conflict with version 1.17.14.

But why would anyone have Build-Conflicts on dpkg-dev?

What about versions later than 1.17.14?

In the current implementation, the tag is triggered for these Build-Conflicts:

  dpkg-dev (<< 1)
  dpkg-dev (>= 2)
  dpkg-dev (= 1.18.1)

which doesn't make any sense to me. :-\

Unless someone objects, I'm going to remove this tag, because it's confusing and unlikely to detect any real problem...

--
Jakub Wilk