Re: RfC: legacy-vendorarch-directory (/usr/lib/perl5/) now unconditionally => package-installs-into-obsolete-dir?

On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 00:28:58 +0200, Axel Beckert wrote:

> Niels Thykier wrote:
> > > Check: xs-abi
> > >   Tag: legacy-vendorarch-directory (*)
>
> I wonder if nowadays any occurence of /usr/lib/perl5 can be warned
> about unconditionally.
>
> Currently the check tests for Perl API version >= 5.19.11. If we no
> more need that condition, I probably could simply add /usr/lib/perl5/
> to Lintian's data/files/obsolete-paths and it then would emit the
> package-installs-into-obsolete-dir tag.
>
> Opinions?

Quick thoughts:
- The tests do different things, AFAICS:
  + legacy-vendorarch-directory checks all files in the source
    package (so also lintian overrides e.g.) which helps to catch
    more craft but can also produce false positives (or at least
    harmless occurences)
  + package-installs-into-obsolete-dir only checks the installed
    directories (?). Which is the important thing; but I' not sure if
    this actually can happen very often?
- package-installs-into-obsolete-dir uses data/files/obsolete-paths
  to point to the new path, which is nice, but in this case the new
  patch is not a static string but a multiarched and perl-versioned
  thingie [0]; not sure if this can be used here. - Well, it can always
  be '/usr/lib/<triplet>/perl<N>/<version>'
- emitting the tag unconditionally would create fals positives for
  oldstable and before; but I guess that's not really a concern

Cheers,
gregor

[0]
% perl -MConfig -e 'print $Config{vendorarch}'
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.20

 : :' : Debian GNU/Linux user, admin, and developer -  https://www.debian.org/
   `-