Lintian behavior when unknown tags are passed to it

Hello,

First of all, I wanted to let you know that lintian is a cool tool and thank you all for creating and maintaining it

If I ask Lintian to suppress a tag that is known to a later version of Lintian but not known to the current version it will exit with an error.  This can be problematic in an environment where a package gets built on different versions of OSes running different versions of Lintian (potentially).  Is there a recommended way to getting around such a scenario?

Thanks,

Rajendra Gokhale