Re: Failing spelling tests

On 2015-04-16 22:10, Axel Beckert wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> when trying to build lintian, I've got a failing test suite as follows:
>
> [...]

Unfortunate indeed.

> I've had similar issues with some Perl packages where we found out
> that passing or failing depends on the selected default dictionary for
> English. Back then it was US English vs UK English, but here I suspect
> maybe the size of the dictionary:
>
> iamerican - American English dictionary for ispell (standard version)
> iamerican-huge - American English dictionary for ispell (huge)
> iamerican-insane - American English dictionary for ispell (insane version)
> iamerican-large - American English dictionary for ispell (large)
> iamerican-small - American English dictionary for ispell (small)
> wamerican - American English dictionary words for /usr/share/dict
> wamerican-huge - American English dictionary words for /usr/share/dict
> wamerican-insane - American English dictionary words for /usr/share/dict
> wamerican-large - American English dictionary words for /usr/share/dict
> wamerican-small - American English dictionary words for /usr/share/dict
>
> (Installed are wamerican and iamerican.)

I believe we use none of those - instead we are using aspell + aspell-en.

> This is obvious no issue for building in a clean chroot, but annoying
> if you do test builds on your local system.
>
> Any ideas how to make the build independent of the installed
> dictionary? Maybe running that test only if a specific dictionary
> package is installed and the default. And just skipping the test
> otherwise.
>
> 		Regards, Axel

It seems that the command used is "aspell list -l en -p /dev/null" and
that Test::Spell has a "set_spell_cmd" that could be (ab)used for this
purpose.  I have not tested it - but if it works in and outside a clean
chroot, I certainly do not mind having it in the test case.

Thanks,
~Niels