Re: Lintian behavior when unknown tags are passed to it

On 2015-02-06 23:34, Rajendra Gokhale wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First of all, I wanted to let you know that lintian is a cool tool and
> thank you all for creating and maintaining it
>
> If I ask Lintian to suppress a tag that is known to a later version of
> Lintian but not known to the current version it will exit with an error.
> This can be problematic in an environment where a package gets built on
> different versions of OSes running different versions of Lintian
> (potentially).  Is there a recommended way to getting around such a
> scenario?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rajendra Gokhale

Hi Rajendra,

Come to think of it, have you looked at using lintian profiles to
support your use case[1]?  Admittedly, it would imply that you can
deploy a OS/environment specific profile to all OSes/environments[2].
Besides disabling (approx. the same as suppressing) tags, you can also
e.g. change the severity of tags to better reflect your policies.

If it is unsuitable, please consider filing a bug for its short-comings.
 You are also very welcome to submit a bug for the "--list-tags" feature
in lintian-info (regardless).

Thanks,
~Niels

[1] https://lintian.debian.org/manual/section-2.5.html

[2] If location is a concern, the --include-dir lintian options allows
you to pick "where" to put it.